Useful links for COVID-19 information

It’s a confusing time and we understand people have many questions across a range of areas, including family law and parenting, employment, tenancy and consumer queries. The community legal sector and related social services organisations have created plenty of resources – links below – to answer the questions you have trying to get through this time as best possible.

The border closures have made life more difficult for people who cross the border as part of their daily life. Please call Service NSW with all permit queries on 13 77 88. Links to FAQ factsheets are below for Victorian and NSW residents. If a border closure has led to problems with your family law arrangements, please call us on 1800 918 377 to discuss.

Our office is closed to the public, but you can still call us on 1800 918 377 or contact us through the website . If we are unable to assist you, we can refer you on to other appropriate services.

If you’re wondering how you can do the right thing to help stop the coronavirus spread, just visit the websites below.

What you can and can’t do – NSW Government

VIC-NSW border closure – what you need to know in Victoria – Victoria Legal Aid

VIC-NSW border closure – what you need to know in NSW – Legal Aid NSW factsheet

Apply for a border crossing permit online – Service NSW

COVID-19 public health orders and fines – Victoria

COVID-19 public health orders and fines – NSW

Local information – Central Hume Primary Care Partnership

Family law & parenting

The Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia has the latest information to answer many of your questions about Parenting Orders and contact arrangements. You can find more links below, including Victoria Legal Aid and Legal Aid NSW.

Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australiauseful Q&A and resource page for parents

Key changes:
• E-file all documents (hard copies not to be posted to or filed in the registry)
• Email them if the documents cannot be e-filed (e.g. exceed restriction of 100 pp)
• All subpoena viewing is by appointment only
• Appointments can only be made in urgent cases or where a hearing is scheduled within 4 weeks of the appointment.

NSW Local Court

Magistrates’ Court of Victoria

Victoria Legal Aid

Victoria Legal Aid – info for parents

Victoria Legal Aid – work discrimination and COVID-19

Victoria Legal Aid – child protection issues

Legal Aid NSW

Legal Aid NSW – COVID-19 resources – DV and parenting

Ten tips for managing parenting during COVID-19

Women’s Legal Service Victoria

Women’s Legal Service NSW

Safe Steps

Domestic Violence NSW

Australian Women Against Violence Alliance


Safety apps for mobile phones – 1800RESPECT

COVID-19 Tracker App advice for DV survivors WESNET

Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria

Mediation options

Consumer, employment, tenancy  and social services

Consumer Action Law Centre

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Jobwatch – coronavirus employment rights Q&A

Jobwatch – Jobkeeper payments Q&A

Migrant Employment Legal Service Q&A

Tenants Victoria guide for renters

Tenants’ Union of NSW

Beyond Housing


NSW Public Health Laws and Police Powers

Victorian Council of Social Services

NSW Council of Social Services

Claiming Centrelink during COVID-19

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman

Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW

Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria